8.03.2011

A prayer for courage.

This time next week I will hopefully have been asleep for quite a few hours at this point in the night. Because next Thursday morning I have an international flight to catch at 7:15am. To D.C. To Ethiopia. To Nairobi, Kenya.

As the time to leave for Kenya gets closer and closer and the lose ends begin to tie into pretty bows, I find myself hesitant. Pausing for a minute to catch my breath. God, is this what I am expecting it to be?

No.

I have moments of pure excitement. Moments of pure joy and giddiness. 

Other times I have moments of crippling fear. Moments of doubt.

I am not too proud to say that I have lived a comfortable life in my little bubble. I don't feel as if I have been sheltered from the realities of this (harsh) world, but at the same time...that is exactly what has happened. God, what if I can't take it?

You can. I can.

I will admit that I have been so focused on the price tag in front of me that I have forgotten the purpose of our trip. I have wanted so badly to do the one thing that I feel is in my power that I have completely missed the point. The purpose. The goal. The reality of what He can do.

He who is all. He who is above all. He who is before all. And after all. He who raises up mountains. He who fills oceans. 

He is the purpose of this trip.

His love is the fuel for our mission. The foundation for what we have to give; individually and as a team.

He made it possible. He makes it possible everyday.

In this coming week, I pray that I not lose sight again of what the purpose of this trip is. Or even the purpose of what daily living is.

Jesus. To love. To shine. To submit. To be emptied. To be filled. To give. To love. 

[Open our hearts, God. Open our eyes. Help us to see the world as you do. Prepare the way.]

2 comments:

  1. Emily, you have touched my heart! I love your words and they are so true to all of us. I am so happy to have you on our team and you have done an amazing job at raising your money!! I am thankful for your commitment and your friendship!

    ReplyDelete